This position has been used for a Defence Electric Light about 1899. Plans exist from this time that show this is No.13 D.E.L. Emplacement. The searchlight position is just below the old Jones Battery and what is shown as the F.O. Quarters Number 1. The light had a 130 degree arc out over the town to the west. It was shown on plan as being a concentrated Movable light, with the main arc covering the Old Mole and North Mole areas.
There was a WWII Defence Electric Light position here, before it was moved to a higher position later.