During the 1850s and 1860s there was a single 68-pdr gun mounted at this battery. In 1870 this was upgraded to a single 10-ins 18-ton RML gun mounted behind an iron shield. It may well be that this was the first iron shield in Gibraltar, and that the term Gibraltar Shield originated from this very gun position. This RML was to remain in place until 1896 when a 12-pdr Q.F. Battery was built.
The RML battery had a magazine and associated underground works.