The Gibraltar Chronicle was first published in 1801. It became a daily newspaper in 1821. It is Gibraltar’s oldest established daily newspaper and the world’s second oldest English language newspaper to have been in print continuously.
The Gibraltar Chronicle was closely tied to the Gibraltar Garrison because it published casualty lists and other related information. The Gibraltar Garrison Library, which is located close by, was also closely tied to these activities. As thigs developed the general public were included in the general circulation.