The Old Mole was begun in 1618 and adjoined the City Wall. It was later extended to form the Devil’s Tongue Battery or the Old Mole. This battery constructed by the British between 1779 and 1783 and proved highly effective during the Great Siege. The Mole Head Battery was added to the end of the Devil’s Tongue (Old Mole) at some time in the latter half of the 19th Century, but at this time the exact date is not known.
In 1895 the Old Mole Head was absorbed into the new Gibraltar Harbour.
The whole length of the battery was mounted with guns, some facing North and some facing South.
In 1859 the Old Mole was reported as mounting :
8 x 8-ins guns
9 x 32-lbs
1 x 32-pdr Carronade
6 x 13-inches (Mortar?)
By 1886 there had been a general upgrading of the guns to
6 x 13-ins LS Mortars (Presumably the same ones as in the previous return)
6 x 8-ins Smooth Bore 65-cwt on Garrison Standing Carriages
6 x 64/32-pdr Rifle Muzzle Loaders on Garrison Standing Carriages
1 x 8-ins Howitzer.
We do not know exactly which guns were position on the Mole Head and which along the length of the pier. It would appear that there is at least two gun embrasures facing out to the West.
The Mole Head is presently not in use but the original embrasures for the guns can still be seen and the general integrity of the battery is maintained.