Coverport(e) Battery previously shielded the Landport Gate from direct fire. Built in 1761
Plans from 1823 show this position as holding 14 guns, but it is not sure if this was a development plan or existing plan. (TNA MPH 1/929).
This was a three gun emplacement and in 1859 had 3 x 24-lbs guns. 1866 MAp (TNA WO 78/4448) show three guns, and immediately behind this a bulding identified as the Landport Guard. The rear of this building ran along the top of the moat.
By 1886 the battery was unarmed and out of use.