The Bedenham was a former Royal Fleet Auxiliary that arrived in Gibraltar carrying armaments on 24 April 1951. It ties up alongside Gun Wharf, the usual location for unloading arms and ammunition. On the morning of 27 April they were unloading depth charges when one caught fire. The fire went out of control resulting in a huge explosion which killed 13 people and caused extensive damage to the civilian town adjoining.
This memorial remembers this fateful explosion in 1951.