SS65 Genista Battery Windmill Hill Flats
Posted on December 28, 2015 / 665
poi type : Gun Battery
Location :
Condition : Fair

Genista Battery was formerly the B Emplacement on Windmill Hill and was armed with a 70-pdr RML in 1875 and is shown in 1886 as having one 7-ins RBL.

Genista Battery was authorised for new armament in 1888 and work commenced in 1889. The intention was to mount three 6-ins BL Mark VII QF guns on central Pivoting Barbette Mountings. Initially this was intended as a practice battery, although with a range of 6,000 yards it was intend ed to engage land targets across the bay. For most of its’ service the battery had only two 6-ins guns and there seems to have been uncertainty about which of the three positions should be occu pied. Even after WW2 this battery with two 6-ins guns remained active for Close Protection of the Harbour.

TNA records shows that in 1903 the battery was converted to a two gun battery and this configuration was to continue until the battery was decommissioned.

The battery is now all but buried, although the glacis can be seen.  The magazines, crew rooms and associated underground building are now buried.

 

Adjacent to this battery are some Z Battery Launchers which are still intact.

The plan shown below is from the National Archives, WO 192/174 and shows the battery with two guns.  The BCP etc has now long gone, although the concrete base does remain.  According to the battery book there were two 6 inch Mk. VII gun on Mk.II Mounting in the battery.  The primary role was to engage sea targets and the secondary role to engage land targets across the bay.  The Battery Range Finder was a DRF Mk.V.  The Battery had two fighting lights, and engine room at Bleak House (Europa).  Directing Station on top of the BCP.

 

SS65 Genista Battery
Genista Battery was formerly the B Emplacement on Windmill Hill and was armed with a 70-pdr RML in 1875 and is shown in 1886 as having one 7-ins RBL.

Genista Battery was authorised for new armament in 1888 and work commenced in 1889. The intention was to mount three 6-ins BL Mark VII QF guns on central Pivoting Barbette Mountings. Initially this was intended as a practice battery, although with a range of 6,000 yards it was intend ed to engage land targets across the bay. For most of its’ service the battery had only two 6-ins guns and there seems to have been uncertainty about which of the three positions should be occu pied. Even after WW2 this battery with two 6-ins guns remained active for Close Protection of the Harbour.

TNA records shows that in 1903 the battery was converted to a two gun battery and this configuration was to continue until the battery was decommissioned.

The battery is now all but buried, although the glacis can be seen.  The magazines, crew rooms and associated underground building are now buried.

 

Adjacent to this battery are some Z Battery Launchers which are still intact.

The plan shown below is from the National Archives, WO 192/174 and shows the battery with two guns.  The BCP etc has now long gone, although the concrete base does remain.  According to the battery book there were two 6 inch Mk. VII gun on Mk.II Mounting in the battery.  The primary role was to engage sea targets and the secondary role to engage land targets across the bay.  The Battery Range Finder was a DRF Mk.V.  The Battery had two fighting lights, and engine room at Bleak House (Europa).  Directing Station on top of the BCP.

 

SS65 Genista Battery
poi type : Gun Battery
Location :
Condition : Fair
Conditions
Active
Not Active
Andrew Schembri
Reviews
There are no reviews yet, why not be the first?
Leave a Review
You must be to post a review.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Listings