Gardiner’s Battery was one of the retired batteries. Plans dated from 1849 designate this as the Retired Battery near the Flat Bastion. It was built to mount eight guns. It fell into disuse in about 1880 with the rapid advance of new guns. In 1859 returns shows that the battery mounted nine 68 pounder. It is thought that one of these was a spare barrel, as shown in images.
The battery has now been completely lost under development but the photographs have been included because they are of fairly good quality and give a good impression of what a battery would have looked like. It is apparent that foliage has been allowed to grow on the defences in order to break up the outline of the battery.