UR1 Devils Gap 6 ins Battery Gibraltar
Posted on December 6, 2015 / 1352
Zone : Upper Rock
Location :
Condition : Good

 

UR1

The first mention of this battery is on 5th August 1779 when a mortar was planted here. Nothing further is mentioned until 1887. In his report of that year Major Parnell recommended that three 9-ins RMLs be placed here.

In addition, at this time in the locality there were three temporary batteries:

(a)    1 9-ins RML at Porral’s Farm Battery on a wooden curb on the site of a current 12lb emplacement (1914?)

(b)   1 9-ins RML at Ince’s Farm, immediately behind and above and behind Devils Gaps, site can still be seen.

(c)    2 7-ins RBLs on Naval Mountings

 

In September 1878 emplacement were commenced for two 9-ins RML guns, which were completed in June 1881. The cost of construction is not known, but he battery was dismounted in 1900.

 

On 1st October 1900 emplacements were commenced to two 6-ins BL guns, Mk.V11 on BL CP Mk.11 Mountings. These were completed on 1July 1902 and replaced the old RML. The cost was recorded as £3680. Between 1st June 1901 and 5th October 1903 magazines and shelters were constructed for a further cost of £1,210.

The Battery was activated on 29th July 1914 when the Fortress Alarm was given, the battery was ready for action by 0230 hours.

In June 1916 the 4-ins QF Detached Mole Battery was dismantled and the guns brought up to

Devil’s Gap. They were fitted with electric dials and training arcs for the Position Finder. They were taken over by Middle North Sub-district on 13th June 1916.

On 18th June 1916 the 4-ins QF Guns were taken to Hayes Cave Battery.

The Battery was demobilized on 31st December 1918 at 1140 hours.

In February 1923 two 4-ins QF Mk.III guns on Mk.1 carriages were mounted on the old emplacement adjacent to the 6-ins Battery. On 31st January 1927 these two guns were dismounted and placed on South Mole Battery.

On 21st August 1927 a single 4-ins QF was taken to Devil’s Gap but was not mounted. It was withdrawn later.

 

The role of the 6-ins Battery was primarily as an Examination Battery. It covered all approach to the harbour and Bay of Gibraltar and was manned day and night so as to be ready to ‘bring to’ any ship that may try to enter the harbour without the permission of the Ex-amination Service Station at Rosia Bay.

The guns were primarily for costal defense, and provided very limited arcs in the event of land attack. The range of the guns is shown as 15,000 yards so they could engage Spanish land targets across Gibraltar Bay. The nearby farm provided accommodation for 8 Warrant Officers and Sergeants and 90 other ranks.

This site is in excellent condition and has recently been restored by Gibraltar Heritage.

 

 

 

 

UR1 Devils Gap 6 ins Battery

 

UR1

The first mention of this battery is on 5th August 1779 when a mortar was planted here. Nothing further is mentioned until 1887. In his report of that year Major Parnell recommended that three 9-ins RMLs be placed here.

In addition, at this time in the locality there were three temporary batteries:

(a)    1 9-ins RML at Porral’s Farm Battery on a wooden curb on the site of a current 12lb emplacement (1914?)

(b)   1 9-ins RML at Ince’s Farm, immediately behind and above and behind Devils Gaps, site can still be seen.

(c)    2 7-ins RBLs on Naval Mountings

 

In September 1878 emplacement were commenced for two 9-ins RML guns, which were completed in June 1881. The cost of construction is not known, but he battery was dismounted in 1900.

 

On 1st October 1900 emplacements were commenced to two 6-ins BL guns, Mk.V11 on BL CP Mk.11 Mountings. These were completed on 1July 1902 and replaced the old RML. The cost was recorded as £3680. Between 1st June 1901 and 5th October 1903 magazines and shelters were constructed for a further cost of £1,210.

The Battery was activated on 29th July 1914 when the Fortress Alarm was given, the battery was ready for action by 0230 hours.

In June 1916 the 4-ins QF Detached Mole Battery was dismantled and the guns brought up to

Devil’s Gap. They were fitted with electric dials and training arcs for the Position Finder. They were taken over by Middle North Sub-district on 13th June 1916.

On 18th June 1916 the 4-ins QF Guns were taken to Hayes Cave Battery.

The Battery was demobilized on 31st December 1918 at 1140 hours.

In February 1923 two 4-ins QF Mk.III guns on Mk.1 carriages were mounted on the old emplacement adjacent to the 6-ins Battery. On 31st January 1927 these two guns were dismounted and placed on South Mole Battery.

On 21st August 1927 a single 4-ins QF was taken to Devil’s Gap but was not mounted. It was withdrawn later.

 

The role of the 6-ins Battery was primarily as an Examination Battery. It covered all approach to the harbour and Bay of Gibraltar and was manned day and night so as to be ready to ‘bring to’ any ship that may try to enter the harbour without the permission of the Ex-amination Service Station at Rosia Bay.

The guns were primarily for costal defense, and provided very limited arcs in the event of land attack. The range of the guns is shown as 15,000 yards so they could engage Spanish land targets across Gibraltar Bay. The nearby farm provided accommodation for 8 Warrant Officers and Sergeants and 90 other ranks.

This site is in excellent condition and has recently been restored by Gibraltar Heritage.

 

 

 

 

UR1 Devils Gap 6 ins Battery
Zone : Upper Rock
Location :
Condition : Good
Conditions
Active
Not Active
    Reviews
    There are no reviews yet, why not be the first?
    Leave a Review
    You must be to post a review.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Related Listings