The oldest part of the land front stretches down from the Moorish Castle to just above the Grand Battery and was designated as the Castle Batteries by the British.
1st Castle is the tower closest to the Tower of Homage.
The battery was armed as follows by the British.
1859 1 x 24lbs Carronade
1886 all weapons had been removed
Not believed to have been used after this date.